Monday, November 5, 2012

Hello Kamloops

It has been one month...one month that has flown by. I remember when we first pulled into the city. It was about 5pm the sun was shinning we were so excited. We got the keys to the bachelor suit we would be staying in for the first 3 weeks. The shock and excitement that we were HERE clouded the fact that we were staying in a bachelor suit. We did not care we would make it work. After quickly scanning our new home we realized that there was definitely some things that we needed to get, apart from the obvious grocery shop. Off to the grocery store we went, our cart filled up fast. We needed this that and the other things.....we grabbed the bulk toilet paper, bulk paper towel and bulk everything. We had doubles and triples of everything that we needed. It was weird both Erick and I kind of stopped looked at each other and it dawned on us. "wait a minute we live here now". If I need more of this or that I can come back tomorrow and get it heck I could come back in two hours and get what I forgot. We call our condition the "hoarder mentality". Living rurally causes such side effects as buying bulk items to "stalk up" because who knows when you are going to "get to town" again or even worse you may be snowed in. I mean yes this was our first grocery shop on our very first couple of hours in town. But even one month into this adventure and we are still catching ourselves grabbing 7 of each item in the ethnic food section which contains items that you wouldn't dream of finding at Kootenay Market. Erick and I are both naturally shopping lovers so this new adventure has brought shopper to a whole new level. Shopping is our weekend fun and even during the week we will make a special trip winners or walmart just because we can. I will never forget a couple Saturdays ago we were driving Kaia to her dance class and both of us were silent just taking in the sights as we drove until all of a sudden I see this little sandwich board sign that says "Filipino Store" "look look Erick a Filipino store" I'm shouting and pointing Erick says "what what where, lets go stop the car stop the car"......and then our new Mantra kicks in ok, we have to take Kaia to dance. "We live here now we can go shopping at this store anytime we want to, We live here now we can go shopping at this store anytime we want to".  I will never forget Erick's comment as he took his first bite of Pandesal (sweet bun) "I love Kamloops". We now visit this store every Saturday after Kaia's dance class.
  Kaia has had some additions to her vocabulary since we have arrived. I put my jacket on last night to take the garbage out and Kaia says to me "shopping Mama" Every time we go somewhere she says that. When we are driving around town Kaia says "Kaia's Kamloops" or "I lub Kamloops".  On a couple of other occasions Kaia has said to me "home Mama, home Mama". Hearing this breaks my heart. My girls have been so incredibly resilient through all of this change. It has been 2 months now since we left our house. Both Kaia and Luka have had little moments of out of the ordinary fussiness. But for the most part they have not complained much at all about all of this change and bouncing around sleeping in different rooms and beds. They have done well and for that I am glad but oh boy do I wish that I could give Kaia her things back. I want her to have HER room back with her bed and her toys. SOON
 Kaia's dance class....oh how I love that she is in dance. Although last week she would not have anything to do with the dance class she is loving it. The class is not parent involved so we drop her off and let her do her class for a half an hour. She is loving it for the most part and as it turns out her dance teacher is someone that I use to dance with back in my dancing days....(Yes I had dancing days). Erick joined a gym and I started going to a yoga studio....oh the possibilities....I am loving it WE are loving it.
 Thank fully this last weekend we moved into a 2 bedroom apartment with lots of space for the girls to run around and each of us to have our own space. No luck so far on house hunting The right house is out there somewhere and we are determined to find it. We have looked at oh...15 houses I think. It will happen SOON.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment